Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Photo Album Stand...Oh So Cute!

As most of you know I have a serious addiction to making things.  I stay up until all hours of the night crafting, sewing, baking...whatever I need to do until my body decides that sleeps is necessary.  I am also easily impressed by items made by awesome girls using power tools...something about it, just absolutely love it.  So, when I find something I really like...I have to make it...I must have it!  I know, it is a serious problem I should consider seeking therapy for.  Hmmm?  Maybe later!

Anyway, saw a photo album stand that totally caught my eye.  Very cute, very simple, and inexpensive.  Oh, and don't forget you will need to use a power tool or two!  Here is the one I saw, but I changed things up a bit and made it a little more my own.

I am not sure why, but I really LOVE this craft!  It is so fun, so easy and turned out so cute!

Supply List:

1 - 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch block
1 - coffee table leg. 
I found mine at Lowe's on clearance for $6.82
I also cut the bottom 2 inches off.  It would have been REALLY tall!
1 - Finial
1 - Dowel cut to size (however long you want it!)
1 - Cap to put on the end of dowel.
1 - long screw
Wood glue
Black paint
Sealer
Sand paper

Let's get started!


1.  Cut the leg down a few inches to desired height.
2.  Drill a hole in the base block big enough for the screw to fit into.
3.  Drill a small pilot hole in the leg.
4.  Put wood glue on the bottom of the leg
5.  Screw the two pieces together with a power drill or screw driver.


6.  Drill a hole large enough to fit the dowel into on the side of the leg. 
7.  Fill the hole with wood glue and insert the dowel.
8.  Dab a small amount of wood glue on bottom of finail and screw into the leg.
9.  Again, dab a small amount of wood glue on the other end of the dowel and put the cap on.


10.  Sand to your liking!  I like everything nice and smooth.  So I do a lot of sanding. 
11.  Paint - I used the cheap acrylic paint.  It was really dull so I sprayed a couple coates of Matte Finish Spray to shine it up a bit.
12.  Scuff the edges...if your into that sorta thing.  I used an old nail file instead of sandpaper.  I find it easier to sand where I want.
13.  Pull out your mini photo album, some ribbon or metal rings and voila!


No comments: