Friday, May 21, 2010

Shadow Boxes


I have decided that shadow boxes do not receive the credit they deserve.  By me....I guess.  For so long, I have overlooked shadow boxes, thinking they are a little outdated and not of interest to me.  My sweet mama was cleaning out her garage and gave me baskets full of craft stuff/junk that she didn't want anymore.  Me, being the pack rat, had to take it.  I hid them away in my craft closet and one day the light bulb went on and I decided that these little shadow boxes have nothing but potential!  They just need attention and some creativity!

HOME SHADOW BOX
Supplies:

- Shadow Box
- Paint
- Scrapbook Paper
- Vinyl
- Spray Adhesive
- Flower
- Twine
- Hot Glue Gun and Hot Glue
- Sandpaper

Directions:

1. Begin by measuring the box and cutting your paper to fit inside.
2. Cut out vinyl and apply to the scrapbook paper. (I use my Cricut to cut out my vinyl)
3. Paint the box and sand the edges if desired.
4. Use spray adhesive to adhere the paper to the inside of the box. 
5. Arrange flowers, leaves, twine and hot glue in place.

PLAYROOM SHADOW BOX COLLAGE!

A much more simple version....just some vinyl and black paper applied to painted boxes.  Orginally, I wanted to hang them on the wall.  But, then I decided I liked them sitting with the extra large clips!  The words in each of the boxes is exactly what happens inside this playroom....except I should make one more that says "CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!"


This project was absolutely free for me (you gotta love that).  Boxes compliments of mom!  I had the paper, vinyl, paint, and flowers all on hand.  I LOVE when my creations do not cost much, or better yet free!
Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I will be linked to this post on Monday (going out of town, trying to get ahead!) from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page. While it's not live yet (scheduled for Monday) and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/playroom-shadow-boxes/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/