Monday, May 31, 2010

Sunday Craft Project


I have a fetish with the colors orange, red, and turquoise.  I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough of these colors.

Sunday was a long day! Cooper was sick and that meant no church for this family.  Once I got the kids settled down and watching a movie, I headed for the craft closet to see what I could find!  I must say, for using only items I had on hand, I am very pleased with how this little project turned out.


I started out with a wood plaque I found at the DI a few weeks ago for .50 cents.
Fabric Flowers
Paint - Magnolia White, Marigold Souci, and Maple Sugar Tan


I painted the first coat Maple Sugar Tan, let it dry and lightly sanded.
Second coat is Margiold Souci, let it dry and lightly sanded again.
Third coat is Magnolia White, let it dry and lightly sand again.
This way, the colors all started to show through in some places.
(I would have used paint stripper, but since it was Sunday I couldn't go to the store and I had to use what I had!)


I wanted to glaze it to make it look a little more antique, so I put a bunch of screws in a plastic bag and starting hitting the wood.  It made several small divots and holes in the wood, nice little nooks and crannies for the glaze to slip in to!


I used leftover glaze from our kitchen project - I LOVE THIS STUFF!  We used this on our entire kitchen, tons of my craft projects and I still have lots left.  It apparently lasts forever!


I brushed the glaze on and let it sit for about a minute.  Then, take a damp cloth and gently wipe off the glaze.  I then like to take a dry cloth (old t-shirts work great) and wipe it off a little more. It gives it a nice antique/distressed look!
After the glaze was dry, I sanded the face and edges of the wood a little more until I got the look I was going for.


I found an extra knob we had leftover from the kitchen project.  Drill a hole in the wood about the same size as the screw and put the knob on.

Now, I needed something to hang from the knob.....
I found some chipboard and turquoise scrapbook paper and cut out the words "home"
used some spray adhesive and adhered the paper onto the chipboard.
I distressed the edges using distressing ink.


Attached the chipboard letters to some twine with knots and hot glue.
Make twine different lengths and tie them all together in a knot at the top.


Hang on the wall and enjoy!


1 comment:

Melissa said...

This is super cute.