Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back To School

I cannot believe my kids go back to school TOMORROW!  I am so excited yet slightly sad all at the same time.  We've had so much fun this summer - swimming, lagoon, parks, water slides in the backyard, movie days, baking cookies and cupcakes...my list can go on and on!  But, I am happy because now I can have time to get my house back in order and really clean!

I saw this oh so very cute idea over at How Does She (guest post from Eighteen25) and decided it was so cute my kids needed to give one to their teachers on the first day of school!


How cute will they be? Giving this to their teacher tomorrow...I can see it now!



This project was very inexpensive and very quick to complete!



I bought some fortune cookies from Walmart (in the Asian food section) for $1.48 a box.  I headed over to the party section where I found two different types of "Chinese food boxes" aka party favor boxes!  The plastic ones are $1.50 a piece, but the colorful paper ones are 4 for $1.50.  I went for the more bang for your buck...you know me, I'm kinda frugal!  I also grabbed a bag of melting chocolates and headed home.

I pulled out my Cricut and cut out four scalloped circles. 2- 3" circles and 2- 3.5" circles.  I printed off the words "I'm So Fortunate To Have You As My Teacher" and cut it into a circle.  Glue them all together and adhere to the box.  Oh so simple, yet oh so cute!

Next unload your fortune cookies and melt your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.  Follow the directions on the package on melting.  Once melted, dip one end of the fortune cookie into the chocolate and set on wax paper to dry. (I didn't have any wax paper so I used tin foil and it worked just fine!)  Now, here comes the fun part!  If you want to add some flare to your cookies, after dipping in the chocolate, roll the chocolate side in some sprinkles then set aside.  Or... melt white chocolate and put in a piping bag and drizzle over cookie, set aside.

I actually let Charlee help with the process and she did fairly well.  I was a little nervous at first, but she figured it out quick!  So, not only will the kids have something cute to give to their teacher, they helped make it too!

Now mama's, have a fabulous day sending those kiddos out the door to school, kick up your feet and RELAX for the day!  You deserve it, you had them ALL summer long!


 

1 comment:

Sheree Dittmer said...

I love this - I am going to do this one not only for their school teachers but for their swimming teacher gift too! Thanks for the creativity!