Sunday, August 8, 2010

Reclaimed Headboard

Oh my goodness!  I am in LOVE with Ana from Knock Off Wood.  Tara has posted about Ana's skills and talent before, and I am here to agree with Tara, this woman is amazing! 

Mike and I finally decided it was time to upgrade our Queen size bed to a King.  Now, we are both fairly small people and a queen should be more than enough for the two of us, but Mike is a bed hog and a blanket hog too.  He likes to claim that he only gets 10% of the bed and blankets, but I beg to differ.

Solution- KING SIZE. 

We have a KING mattress now but only a queen bed....uh oh! 

Solution- KNOCK OFF WOOD!

Here is our completed Reclaimed Wood Headboard. 





See the cute little bench at the foot of my bed?  Mike made this for me YEARS ago to go with our log bed.  We decided to not do a foot board and use the bench instead. After a coat of primer, paint and glaze, it matches perfectly!
Now, don't focus on the bed skirt wrinkles....or the fact that I have a queen duvet cover on my bed.  New bedding is in the works, I just haven't found what I want yet!

The plans to the Reclaimed Headboard are here, the instructions are simple to follow and make perfect sense.  We had the headboard built in just a few hours, the next day we sanded, primed, painted, sanded again, and glazed.  By dusk the second day, our headboard was attached to our bed frame and looking beautiful as ever.

As Tara said before, all the plans at Knock Off Wood are free.  Can you believe it?  Isn't that great?  I think so!  She creates very sturdy pieces and they can all be done very inexpensively.  The total cost for this headboard was only $50.00.  A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  The wood cost just under $40, the primer was $8.  We already the paint and glaze leftover from a previous project (sweet!) and the bolts to attach to the bed were about $2.00.

Once you build something from this site, you will never want to purchase another piece of over priced furniture again.  With the help from Ana, some power tools and wood, you can build just about anything!!

Now, get over to Knock Off Wood, find something fabulous and get to building!  You will be so happy you did.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a king size down comforter that I am no longer in need of. . . I got it for my birthday in January and didn't use it that long. You would just need to buy a duvet cover for it. Let me know you you want it =)

Rushton's said...

I do LOVE this bed. It is making me rethink which one I am going to make. I might switch to this one!! You did an awesome job on it. It looks even more spectacular in person.